[meteorite-list] Capot Rey...photos please of the H5

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 24 04:06:45 2005

Hi Jeff,

why it should not be an IMB?
Maybe you have in mind, if you think to an IMB, only such optically on first
glimpse uniformly looking black IMBs like Cat Mountain or el Kachla, as they
have only a poor contrast between melt and clasts?
An IMB has not to have lost all chondritic structures, it hasn't to be
totally and completely recrystallized.
On contrary a characteristicum of a IMB is the mixture of molten material
and unmolten material with chondritic structure. Some say the chondritic
parts are remainders of the impactor, others that the melt was pressed by
impact into the chondritic host material, again others see many different
impact events...depending, what is to be found in the very location.

Take a look on this slice from Erich Haiderer of famous Rio Limay:
http://www.meteorite.com/Erichs/riolimay.jpg
Look at the upper part. Do you see the clasts?

And voila Dho 010:
http://www.star-bits.com/dhofar010.htm
(didn't found in that hurry pictures of larger slices)

Cat Mountain I hadn't in my hands yet,
but perhaps you'll find also some nice chondrules left in the single rounded
fragment in your specimen:
http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/catmountain.jpg

Ah - I see, you listed some samples on your hp, a little IMB-page:
http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/impactmelts.html

Look there Matteo, the melt hasn't to be metal free, see NWA 2085
and if I think of El Kachla-NWA 722, the dynamic looking distribution of the
metal in the molten parts is the main reason, why that IMB is so
spectacular!
http://www.meteorite.fr/en/forsale/IMB.htm
More interesting would be, Matteo, whether you can find chondrules in that
parts supposed to be a melt.

Hence, if I look at Carstens fullslice of Capot Rey on his pages,
http://www.gi-po.de/main_eng.htm ,
I really can't follow you Jeff, why you exclude with such a certainity that
it can't be an IMB?
Is it because the slice recently shown by Carsten has such a small surface,
that you guess that the melt streams are only some somewhat larger shock
veins?
(Cahaaarsten, please send a detailled picture of the full slice from your
hp, make also some close ups. We want to see the stuff!)
In Dho 010 for example, you find also aereas, where the rounded clasts are
sitting very close to each other.
(O Carsten, are you sick? That cool NWAxxx IMB is much to cheap with 5$/g)

Anyway, if you're not content with simple eyeproving,
voila IMCA should enter the stage - we know, how difficult it is to find a
place, where classification is done in a non-biblical time,
therefore I'm sure IMCA will help to find a place and Carsten will give a
nice IMB-Capot-Rey piece to get it examined,
if you feel better then.
Thrilling, isn't it?

Cheerio!
Martin