[meteorite-list] Crackpot impact theory

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 24 22:41:14 2005

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:06:58 -0500, "Sterling K. Webb" <kelly_at_bhil.com> wrote:

> The author, Firestone, is a "real" scientist,
>but the crazy comet made out of a supernova
>he gets from the site holder of this web site:
><http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/>

Here's what another real scientist http://www.thesolarsystem.org/davidmorrison.html has to say about
his new "theory":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/24/BAGG9ET78M1.DTL

The Firestone-West proposal drew quick criticism from a leading expert on cosmic impact events,
David Morrison of NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View.

"Apparently, none of this work has been published in a peer-reviewed journal," Morrison said in an
e-mail to The Chronicle. "The idea that debris from a supernova explosion coalesced into
low-density, comet-like objects is unsupported in terms of any science that I know of." Also, the
claim of tiny impact craters in the tusks "is pretty obviously false," Morrison said. "No such
grains could get through the atmosphere."