[meteorite-list] Mexican Meteor Wrong in Wichita

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 14 10:37:29 2006

Hello Pat,

I am limited on what I can say on a public list, and you made this go to two
that are archived on yahoo. This is because I do not want to break any ebay
rules. I feel it is a meteor wrong. I have seem a lot of meteor wrongs on
ebay and there will be more. I am not risking getting kicked off ebay for
what I think is likely a meteor wrong. I do not believe in policing
possible meteor wrongs on ebay, which is different then investigating a
possible one a few miles from me and sharing my thoughts. So I can't give
really give my complete thoughts in this manner.

The finder was well aware and had no problem with me reporting on it as I
did and thought it a good thing. In fact, I mentioned to the seller that I
bet I will make more people think it is with my report and I think that is
the case. He replied by offering me a little money if it went high...and I
turned it down. If it was not for the location, you would have never seen
an e-mail from me on it. I feel I have done what I can right now.

I also have spent most of my non-sleeping time the last two days with this
and am getting to the point that I must move on. I can answer questions off
the list but not something that would take an hour or more like sharing all
my thoughts and experience with this specimen. Also if you have more then
one or two questions....I likely can not be of help. If you are serious in
bidding on it then ask for my phone number. The latter goes to anyone.
Well okay, I may not give all of you my phone number but you should know who
you are in that case.

I will add a couple more comments, and then hope that most you agree I have
done my public duties. As a Kansas Meteorite Society member, as an IMCA
member and as a local collector. And again I have not fully declared it a
meteor wrong or meteorite, I feel I lack the information to do either. You
simply can not classify a meteorite or all meteor wrongs without cutting a
piece off. Or at least I can't.

The most experienced person I have heard an opinion from....this person set
up at the first Tucson show and just retired....thinks it is slag. I have
no experience with slag as Kansas does not have steel mills and I have not
gotten one a meteor wrong before, so I my mind never went there. That seems
to make more sense to me at this moment. It explains the like triolite
inclusions to me.

If you are thinking......it looks like a Sikhote...ask yourself...how many
other irons look like Sikhote-Alin? Understand Sikhote was a 100+ ton fall,
with thousand of thousands of meteorites from it. The physics, in my
opinion is different.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com