[meteorite-list] National Meteoritical Societies

From: meteoriteplaya_at_comcast.net <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 20 00:31:18 2006

Hi Mark & Jeff
I guess as long as you are mentioning the KMS I will mention the Colorado Meteorite Society (COMETS). We started around 5 years ago with monthly meetings usually in the Denver metro area but we have had them in CO Springs as well. Most meetings have 10-20 members present.
We try to help promote meteorite collecting in our community as well. We recently helped the CO School of Mines Museum of Geology update their meteorite display. We have also had a display of meteorites from several members at the main library in CO Springs.
So far we have not recovered any new meteorites because of our efforts but I am confident that will happen some day. We also try to get out as a club and do some meteorite hunting.
We also hold an annual party during the Denver show that has become one of the most popular events at the show. This last year of course we held the Katrina relief fund drawing at the party.
I would invite anyone living in the area to consider joining. Just send me an email I will give you details for becoming a member.
Mike

--
Mike Jensen
Jensen Meteorites