[meteorite-list] meteorite odours

From: Suzanne and Jim <suzieandjim_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 20 23:26:22 2006

Yes I can attest to the Murchison meteorite odour.

Last month while visiting Dermot Henry at the
Melbourne Museum I had the privilege to go down into
the dungeons to see some of the museum's meteorite
collection.

I was particularly interested in the Murch and when he
opened the cupboard containing many many fragments as
well as some decent sized individuals, even after
almost 40 years there still was a strong odour.

It first reminded me of entering a smokers house (
being very sensitive to tobacco smoke I notice these
things ) but the more I smelt them it was more like
cinders from an old wood/coal fireplace.

I must say I couldn?t recognize any alcohol or butane
smell as some past descriptions have stated.

I also got to see close-up the RAINBOW meteorite held
there and it certainly is a nice looking specimen, (
But I am biased towards carbonaceous ones anyway)

I cant say I smelt anything on this one( maybe not as
many volatiles in it as a CM2) , but it had probably
been under the ground for a while but still in very
good condition.

jim

Suzanne & Jim