[meteorite-list] Re: Odour of meteorites

From: Greg Redfern <gredfern_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Apr 21 11:52:43 2006

Good Evening List,

  I have an 80 gram Murchison specimen that I keep under a bell jar.
When I lift the jar it contains the aroma of a fine whisky. With 98
identified amino acids and 13% water by volume perhaps this explains
this wonderful smell. I never tire of it.

All the best,

Greg

Greg Redfern
NASA JPL Solar System Ambassador