[meteorite-list] RE...Metal Tektite's....

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Apr 23 23:24:07 2006

Well, if you want to get picky, technically you can get that type of
material from an iron meteorite, although I'm not sure I'd call it a
tektite. Canyon Diablo is well known for having partly vaporized on impact;
the resultant iron vapor recondensed and seeded the desert for kilometers
around with metallic droplets that cooled into tiny spheres. I don't think
there was any mixture of gas and solid, though. Either the fragment
remained metal all the way down, or it vaporized on impact.

Tracy Latimer