[meteorite-list] Metallic Rock Baffles Experts

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 1 20:00:47 2006

>>(It had rust-like patches on it
when it was found...doesn't sound like a fresh iron
find to me!)

Hi, all,

The above revives a question I've long wondered about, but never seen a
specific reference to:

Considering the oxygen, hydrogen, and iron content of some stony meteorites,
does any, even minutely, oxidation occur in space?
Or are the meteorite's gas isotopes of a type that just won't cause rust
until it hits earth's atmosphere?

Cheers,
Pete