[meteorite-list] Inventory reference ideas.

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 6 23:24:15 2006

Hi,

    The problem is that an index or code can never contain
all the information you might want. The most obvious thing
would be that your index numbers should start with "DH"
which would establish their provenance in the future, near
or distant.
    As in, "This is a Monnig number..." or "This is a Nininger
number..." or "This is a David Hardy number..."
    Then there's the question of how you want to affix the
index to the stone? In the good old days, you would just
paint it on the "aerolite" with staunch white titanium dioxide
paint, but that kind of makes me shudder.
    So, you stick a little label on the meteorite's case, box,
or housing that says "DH000001, DH000002, DH000003...
Please notice that we're going to assume that you're going
to end up with 1,000,000 minus 1 meteorites. (Actually,
there's no reason for those leading zeroes except to make
computer files on them self-organize.)
    Personally, I also write the official name and type on
the number label, which is a good thing, because right now
I couldn't tell you where my permanent record is -- it's
here somewhere, I know...
    The index keys the meteorite to the Permanent Record
of the Collection. This could be an Excel spreadsheet
crammed with all the information you have, by index
number: official designation, petrological type and grade,
weathering, find or fall, date of discovery, story of discovery,
place or coordinates of discovery, URL's that refer to this
meteorite, academic references that refer to it, notes,
comments, controversies, pairings, and your acquisition
data: when, how acquired, cost, source, with their own
notes and comments -- there's really no end to how
far you can go. (I'm sure I've left something out, but that's
what records are for: to supplement memory, a poor
medium.)
    If you like a physical data object like a book (I do), the
same data can be kept in a binder with one (or more) pages
for each specimen. Each one could be "dh000001.doc"
and so forth. In addition to all the data mentioned above,
you could have all your pictures of each meteorite printed
on the page(s), or if you really like to go whole hog,
accompanying 8x10 photos.
    (Since I hate punching holes in documents, I put pages
in sheet protectors, lightweight clear plastic document
holders which can also hold photos and allow for two-
sided pages and put them in "Sloped-D-ring" binders
so they turn easily.)
    Since each page will contain the same data categories,
you can make a template for the document so that each
new arrival can be recorded easily. Saving each meteorite's
page as a computer document allows each page to be
updated and reprinted when needed.
    When it comes to "collection mania," there are no limits
beyond time, energy, and money (and in that order, I find).
The term "mania" is descriptive, accurate, and precise.

Sterling K. Webb