[meteorite-list] NWA 3119 (LL4)

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 12 04:23:31 2006

Hi Bernd, Jerry & List,

NWA 3119 is a great meteorite and one of my favourites! I would have to
agree with Bernd's comments that it is probably a type-3 (breccia?). The
problem is that it seems to be a fairly heterogenous meteorite which
probably makes classification very type specimen dependent. A bit like the
problems faced with some of the NWA Eucrite vs Howardite.

The 4th image shows a field of chondrules (on left) which generally appear
much more primitive; a little like the NWA 2892 / NWA 2748 chondrule
conglomerate. It's funny you mention the bleached chondrules Bernd, because
the larger one is probably my favourite example that I have.

http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/BleachedChondrules.html

There's a higher resolution on the NWA 3119 slice here:
http://www.meteorites.com.au/media/

Cheers,

Jeff