[meteorite-list] Perseids 2006 ?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 14 10:46:25 2006

Hello Robert, All,

After a day of hunting, we spent the early evening tonight stargazing in the
relative darkness (compared to Los Angeles) of the Mojave.

All in all, I wasn't particularly wowed or disappointed. We watched from
sundown until a bit after the moon rose (about 8-10pm), and I'd have to say
that the best display was within half an hour of darkness.

It was pretty spotty - started with several bright white meteors within a
few minutes, along with a pretty spectacular orange one that crossed a good
portion of the sky, but overall it wasn't that great. There were periods of
ten or so minutes without a single meteor separated by either single meteors
or occasionally two in a minute or so.

Trains tended to be a good length, and there was one in particular that was
rather interesting. I only saw the very bright flash off to my right, but
Peter said that the flash preceded a very long and fairly bright meteor.
I'm at a bit of a loss to describe exactly how this occurred, unless it was
really two meteors - one coming right at us (the flash) and then another to
create the long train that he saw.

Other than that, probably three sporadics (way off course for Perseids), and
one very bright satellite which we thought could've been bright enough to
have been the international space station.

Max temp. by the thermometer was 110 F - not pleasant, but could've been
much worse, as a few of you fellow hunters might know ;)

Regards,
Jason