[meteorite-list] Large Muonionalusta meteorites

From: Thomas Österberg <marie.m.osterberg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 00:07:16 2006

Dear List,

Recently, there has been some statements on the List about large Muonionalusta individuals.

Some people here, seems to know something about a 1.8 ton, or is it maybe 1.4 ton monster, found last summer (by a Russian team?). I have also seen contributions to the list, stating that a 550 kg individual has been found in the strewn field. So far, we have seen no pictures or any more accurate information about those individuals, just more or less confirmable statements.

To my knowledge, the largest confirmed individual is a 500 kg Muonionalusta found last year, in the end of July, by a hunting team consisting of Mr. Andreas Forsberg and Mr. Dan Johansson, both Sweden. It's temporarily on display at the Museum of Natural History in Gothenburg, Sweden.

I know those persons well, and I have several photos of this meteorite, if any wish to see it.

There is an ongoing research project regarding the Muonionalusta meteorite and its glacially disturbed strewn field in Sweden. Therefore, is any confirmable information about large Muonionalusta meteorites are very much requested! I would certainly appreciate any photos or information's of size and weight! An approximate location of the finds would of course be of great interest!

Thank you!

Thomas Osterberg

www.muonionalustameteorites.com