[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 06:45:49 2006

Hi Sterling:

Yes, Sterling, Ceres is a planet (if this passes the General Assembly). With
respect to Ceres being a carbonaceous chondrite this comparison has been made
since the early 80s. Google my name and Ceres and there are many hits for
water on Ceres.

Larry

Quoting "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>:

> Hi,
>

> Yes, Ceres is a planet again... if a vote of the whole is in favor!
> I predict a cantankerous electorate on August 24th! Ceres was a
> planet officially from 1804 to 1864, In 1855, the Big Four were
> retained as planets but all the others were demoted to minor planets.
> In the US, Ceres continued to be mentioned as a planet up into
> the 1870's.
>
> All planets have official planet symbols, you know. We've
> all seen them; they're on jewelry even. Is there a market for
> a new symbol for the new planets (if they vote'em into the
> club)? Well, Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, and Juno already have
> symbols from back when they were planets the other time.
> Good old Naval Observatory has 'em:
> http://aa.usno.navy.mil/hilton/AsteroidHistory/minorplanets.html
>
> But "Xena" and the other qualifying crutons, er, plutons
> don't. Probably have to wait until they have names...
>
> Ceres and the rest of the Big Four, even in 1864, were
> thought to be much larger than they really are. "At the time...
> the most widely disseminated values for the diameters of
> the first four asteroids discovered were Ceres, 2613 km
> (really 975x909); Pallas, 3380 km (really 570x525x500);
> Juno, 2290 km (really 290x240x190); and Vesta (really
> 578x560x458), not more than 383 km." Well, they were
> close on Vesta... You'll notice that only Ceres is really
> ROUND enough...
>
> Ceres density 2.08. Pluto density 2.03. Both densities are
> most easily modeled by a 50-50 mixture of ice 1.0 and rock 3.0,
> or some quibbly variation thereof. However, Ceres is darker
> (albedo 0.113 versus 0.50). There are signs Ceres has a transient
> atmosphere like Pluto. Ceres appears to have complex organic
> chemistry, so it may be the solar system's largest carbonaceous
> chondrite!
> http://www-
ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/dawn/newsletter/html/20030822/ceres_evolution.html

--
Dr. Larry A. Lebofsky
Senior Research Scientist