[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 09:55:16 2006

Loonie indeed.

It doesn't matter how they vote, the IAU simply doesn't have the
authority to define "planet" (they aren't the Acad?mie fran?aise, after
all <g>). IMO they are fools for attempting to do so, as there is no
need for a technical definition. The ordinary users of English (and
other languages) have long since decided what the planets are- and that
they don't include Ceres (with its own history), nor Charon, nor any big
iceballs floating around in peculiar orbits far, far beyond Pluto.

At most, this will cause a few authors of technical papers to adjust
their jargon- and I'm not even sure of that.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com