[meteorite-list] 'Plutons' Push Planet Total Up To 12

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 16:27:15 2006

Hi,

    Pluto and Charon are Planets Ten and Eleven;
    Which is which? Nobody knows, outside of Heaven.

    The orbital period of Charon is 6.38723 days. Half
that time, it's Eleven; half that time it's Ten. But don't
ask when! Just think of them as Planet 10-11, like 7-11
or 9-11, as a set, or maybe as Planet EleventyTen. Their
surfaces are only 16,040 km apart! Just jump real hard!
I just mean, they're cozy.

    I can't see the problem of the redefinition being very
large for us, or people generally, or astronomers, or even
school children, but one thought occurs to me. What
about the Astrologers? Are they going to ignore this?
Or re-write everything? Customers will come in and
then complain because the aspects of Ceres are not
included in their Charts. What about the influence of
Charon on their Love Life? "You're a Scorpio with
Xena rising..."

    What a mess!

Sterling K. Webb