[meteorite-list] Planets Galore

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 13:17:44 2006

Hi Mike, list -

So let's look at this as process -

Whatever this current committee does, as very many
more new KBOs and Oort cloud objects are discovered
which fit their new definition for planet,

and as memory of Clyde's discovery fades, along with
the passing of many of his colleagues,

then that future IAU formally adopts Brown's
definition - a planet has to be large enough to clear
its part of the accretion ring. And then Pluto gets
"demoted", and Clyde becomes the FIRST discovere of a
KBO.

Of course, there'll be a lot of trees killed for
needless paper in the meantime.

good hunting,
Ed

PS - Mike, as an anthropologist you'll definitely want
a copy of my book "Man and Impact in the Americas",
now available through amazon.com.