[meteorite-list] Solar System in Perspective

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 17:00:32 2006

Hi, Pete,

    I second those thanks!

    These are new pages for the IAU site. They weren't
there in the wee morning hours before last when I was trying
to find a mention of Proposal V on the website -- there weren't
NONE!

    About 2003EL61, Darren. Despite the "iceball" myth about
KBO's, 2003EL61 is SOLID ROCK. The density is way too high
to be anything else. It doesn't even seem to have any superficial
surface volatiles. "It don't snow on Santa." Isn't that a C&W
song?

    But with a four hour rotation, er, axial revolution, period, this
massive object is far from round. I haven't (can't) calculate the
degree of strain in the body of the planet, but it must stupendous!

    Big question is: is it "frozen in" and dating from its formation,
or is it a dynamic distortion. I don't know the shear modulus, or
modulus of rigidity, of 2003EL61 or any planet, and I doubt that
anybody does...

    "Santa" is in the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_EL61
    Here's a big image, er, artist's conception:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2003EL61art.jpg

    In fact, the Wikipedia has very good entries on all
the "KBO" crowd...

Sterling K. Webb