[meteorite-list] Re:New Impact Crater

From: Platypus Girl <platypusgirl2002_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 19 10:33:57 2006

It looks somewhat like a cauldera, to me, a cindercone long filled up with water. Kind of like Crater Lake in Oregon. lol

  If there were more documentation available, reliable documentation, not just something posted on the internet, I might be less incredulous...

  Suzi Platypus Girl

"Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  JKG,

Think there's little doubt Johnny Tonko named
the Tonko Astrobleme to honor Johnny Tonko.

If pressed, I'm sure he could come up with
a website by Johnny Tonko naming the Tonko
Astrobleme in honor of Johnny Tonko.

The "astrobleme" is a small pond surrounded
by conifers in a cold but arid region. The trees are
restricted to the water source; the ground shows the
characteristic wrinkle of frozen taiga -- at least, that's
how I read the image he provided. One supposes
the proof of cometary origin is that the pond is
filled with rare cometary material... WATER.

Sterling K. Webb