[meteorite-list] Pluto May Get Demoted After All

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 19 17:28:09 2006

Dooh! better rename that one.
Jerry Flaherty
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Garrison" <cynapse_at_charter.net>
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Pluto May Get Demoted After All

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 20:37:34 -0700, you wrote:

>history community. These are people who know the issues, who know the
>science
>(the words and concepts are far from arbitrary),

I realized something tonight that I knew but for some reason, it hadn't
stuck me
before: the word "pluton" already has a use in science. It is a "Body of
magma
which has solidified beneath the earth". I've been on a few of them, and
can
even see one from my house when I find the right gap between the trees (this
one: http://www.shutterfreaks.com/gallery/album152/DSC_4055, photo not
mine).

So it makes me wonder-- does one field of science try to avoid reusing a
term
with an established specific meaning in another field of science (and would
some
far future geologist be looking for plutons on Plutons?)