[meteorite-list] "Round Rocks" from Osceola, Missouri Impact Site

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Aug 20 03:17:28 2006

In the auction link below there are a parcel of highly
spherical rocks, which were probably shaped
mechanically over time--naturally or otherwise. Not by
asteroidal collision. (Simular stones are formed in
natural potholes-Nature's own sphere grinder)

Looking beyond the assumptions of the finder, anyone
have thoughts as to how these really formed and why
there are so many or them recovered? I am hard
pressed to come up with a theory of how they could be
impact related.

ROUND ROCKS formed by Meteorite at Osceola impact site
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200016916334>
Interesting items-- yes, but someone paid a chunk of
change for them. The finder has a few more auctions.

Seems an astrobleme has been confrimed for this site.
<http://www.agiweb.org/geotimes/july03/NN_missouri.html>
Now called the "WEAUBLEAU-OSCEOLA STRUCTURE" of SW
Missouri. Both Impact breccia and planiarly deformed
quartz grains are present at this 12 mile diameter
site.

And before anyone proposes it...I think we can safely
assume these are not: Martian blueberries, Moqui
marbles, NOR the missing 2112th thru 2138th Plutonian
Planetettes-Planetos, whatever...

Elton