[meteorite-list] "Comet shower"

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 21 02:50:22 2006

Hi all:

I seem to get into trouble no matter what I say. Yes, I keep promising myself
to buy the book.

My response to Darren responded to the article he referred to which talked
about comet showers lasting thousands of years or more. I assumed that they
were referring to the long-held theory of a planet X or a passing star as the
cause of showers of comets, hence, comet shower (and periodic mass
distructions). I do not think that they were referring to the pieces of a
single comet that had broken up and hit the Earth. I think that this is a
fairly recent idea and which at least from an observational point of view is
supported by SW3 (the breaking up part). I was unaware of any papers or books
that discuss anything like Cheimgau. I will take your word for this and will
get a copy of your book. I do not think John Lewis mentions it in his book,
but I could be wrong. It is some time since I have read it.