[meteorite-list] Re: The IAU Draft Definition of 'Planet' and 'Plutons'

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 21 13:18:12 2006

Hi Ron:

I do think that I brought this up before, but it is worth repeating:

1. It is common practice to name a group of objects after the "type" object: T-
Tauri stars and RR Lyrae stars come to mind. The same has been done for
plutons, from the French word for Pluto (Pluton).

2. Terms are used for different things in different fields because they may be
derived from the same root, in this case god of the Underworld, Pluto.

I have been trying to come up with other examples, not coming up with many,
though I am sure there are: hill vs. Hill Sphere (region of gravitational
influence) planet vs. planetary gears and planetary nebula, Mercury the planet
and mercury the metal. I am sure there are others.

I do not think anyone will get confused if the term is accepted.

Larry