[meteorite-list] Carbonaceous Chondrites and their sources

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 21 17:21:54 2006

Hi List -

Make that Harlow Shapley. I don't know whether Dr.
Bryson's memory was good, and I don't know about the
sutdies he mentioned in the following note, as I was
unable to locate them. But if Shapley was working in
this direction, then it would explain his disgust with
Velikovsky. It may also go some way to explaining
Clube and Napier's work.

Good Hunting,
Ed

FWD:

It has been years since I read it, but as I recall
Shapley's study suggested that the Apollo asteroid
stream had come from the breakup of Proto-Encke, and
that Halley's comet was part of the stream. As I
recall the return period of the stream intersecting
the earths position came out to be about 5100-5200
years The breakup of proto-Encke as I recall was about
25000 BP. There are about 6 impact craters in North
America that could be that age, and there is a
corresponding peak in the frequency of volcanic
eruptions at that time. This might be expected with
the crust being pounded so hard. Most of those
craters are quite large, Like Dubawnt Lake and South
Bay of Reindeer Lake, both of which are about 50 miles
across. The last close pass, ca 5100BP, probably had
some hits also-since it coincides with the Piori
Glacial advance in Switzerland.. Fiscinating
questions to speculate on.
        Incidentally, to go to the short count of
disaster schedule, a spectrum of Mayaland volcanic
eruptions has a very highly significant line at 20
years.
Cheers!

--
Prof. Reid A. Bryson PhD, DSc, DEngr.