[meteorite-list] Meteorites????

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 22 12:34:23 2006

Michael,

Nothing in your photos looks remotely suspicious.
Most look to be stream-rounded quartzite pebbles.
Disseminated magnetite is the likely culprit.

Some of today's magnets are just too good. I've put
away my big hard-drive monster that will pull nails
out of fences and opted for a small telescoping
neodymium magnet. Still very strong, but it produces
a better contrast between meteorites and wannabes.
Like Chris said in another reply to your post, with a
monster magnet it is not uncommon to find areas where
nearly everything gives a response. I've seen places
in Arizona with nuggets of pure magnetite.

One thing that will usually help is to check the
streak color (rub the specimen against unglazed
porcelain or give it a stroke on your diamond hone).
Most of the winners will give a rust red-brown powder
(and so will some losers----), while magnetite will
give a black streak and a lot of the common wannabes
will give slate gray.

Good luck,
Norm
(http://TektiteSource.com)