[meteorite-list] Astronomers Lean Toward Eight Planets

From: Larry Lebofsky <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 25 15:26:45 2006

Hi Sterling:

I am so far behind in reading emails that I am now reading the most recent and
going backwards. Hence my response to your email from Wednesday.

First, with only about 425 scientists voting on the porposal Thursday, there is
now a petition for the planetary (and astronomy?) community in support of
somthing closer to the original proposal (properties of the object, not where
it is located). A more general one may follow (I will let you all know).

I agree with you (almost) completely. Except with the composition of Ceres.
With a density of just over 2.0, there is a lot of water in Ceres. It is
assumed to be all below the surface (as water ice is not stable on its
surface), but it is a good match to CI and CM meteorites and so has a good deal
of water in it. So, it is most likely a very wet rock.

>From the HST images, which show white spots, it may even have some water ice on
its surface. I would be thrilled with that since I "predicted" ice on Ceres and
then showed that it could not have any since it is too warm. More recent work
has show that my observational analysis may not have been too far off (Dawn
will give us the answer).

Larry