[meteorite-list] I'm getting confused by the MB coordinates

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 03:31:40 2006

Walter:

Please don't shoot the messenger. But as hard as the Met Bulletin editorial
staff work, no one goes looking over the shoulders of most finders; the
greed of human nature combined especially in the older cases with the
trouble of interpolating coordinates (no GPS) from a topo map by many
finders, grabbing the nearest 10' or 15', etc., etc. , etc. etc. add up to
the exception frequently being the correct coordinate. Bad but that's life.
4 miles is pretty good. I am used to dealing with lots more than that as
I'm sure plenty of others are here, too.I bet even the Tucson Ring has
coordinates...

Read "Rocks from Space" again, the Bob Haag section. I know Richard Norton
makes a relevant comment in there somewhere about the accuracy of published
coordinates when Bob started hunting. The accurate falls tend to be the
ones with large strewn fields, if that makes sense...

Best wishes, Doug