[meteorite-list] Pluto Vote backlash

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 08:11:59 2006

I understand the importance of peer review but this
was always going to happen. Ultimate truth just IS.
You cannot decide it by vote.

To prove the point to my 5th year class yesterday I
put a red mark on the board. I asked what colour it
was.
When I offered them ?50 each to agree that it was
blue...

Well you can guess what colour the blob was voted.
only 2 purists said "But it's Red. You can't decide
it's Blue just because you vote it to be blue. It's
red". Point made.

Democracy eh? Darth Vader and his chums had to build a
huge battle station with enormous lasers to remove a
planet from existence.
A committee can simply vote it out of existence.
Hurrah!

We now await the inevitable u-turn, bad press and
scientists looking like a bunch of tubes!

Which one of those committee idiots said "this
definition has to stand for all time". I give it a
week!

Depressed
Rob McC
(not a morning person)