[meteorite-list] Moss Meteorite

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Aug 26 18:37:02 2006

Hello Bernd,

I have read different stats for the kakangariites than you have stated.
My sources are Classification of Meteorites, Krot, Keil, Goodrich,
Scott, and Weisberg (from Treatise on Geochemistry 1, 2005); The K
chondrite grouplet, Weisberg, Prinz, Clayton, Mayeda, Grady Franchi,
Pillinger, and Kallemeyn (GCA 1996); and The Textures and Abundances of
Chondrules in the Kakangari Chondrite, Genge and Grady (LPSC 24 #1670).
Newer information has discredited Lea Co 002 from being a member of this
grouplet, so now there are only Kakangari and LEW 87232 - perhaps that
has skewed some numbers you referenced. Here are my stats for features
of these two members which can be measured outside of the lab for the
most part:

chondrule size peak is 0.25-0.5 mm
70-77 vol% matrix content
metal content similar to H chondrites (6-9 vol%)
sulfides 6-10 vol%
CAIs less than 0.1 vol% (0.05 - 0.4 mm)
D17O (when conducted) should be -1.6

The high metal (as indicated by the numerous rust spots) is unlike that
of a CK I think. I haven't investigated its similarity to COs since that
is the ongoing hypothesis of its class and I can live with that.
Obviously it will take a lab to know what Moss is, but a kakangariite is
not out of the running in my opinion.

David