[meteorite-list] Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Nears End ofAerobraking

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 29 10:24:20 2006

Hi Doug, Ron, list -

Sadly, one must also remember that this type of
technology is also useful for warhead re-entry.
If we instead use it for something constuctive and
beneficial, such as improving our understanding of the
Earth's weather, then that's to the good. I suppose
that what I'm trying to say is that technology always
has two faces, and we always have to look at the uses
to which it is going to be put.

As far as Mars' lack of atmosphere and water goes,
both escaped to space long ago. Mars' molten core
cooled a long time back, and without its molten core's
magnetic field's protection from the charged particles
from the Sun, those particles carried Mars' water and
atmosphere away -

By the way, the holes in our ozone seem to be letting
in increased levels of UV which are melting ice in
Antartica and the Artic, which cold water is flowing
onto the surface of the world's oceans -

- all the best,
Ef

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mro/newsroom/pressreleases/20060825a.html

http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EPSC2006/00644/EPSC2006-A-00644.pdf