[meteorite-list] What else do you collect?

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:39:58 -0600

Hello all,

I have always been a collector and usually end up going off the deep end in
various items. Stamp collectors use the term study to justify purchasing
vast accounts of pretty much the same item. I guess I "study" a lot of
things.

Things that I am somewhat actively collecting include:

? War Letters, mostly WWII but have various letters from the Civil War up to
Desert Storm. Have no current war letters if anyone has family members
active...;^)
? US Stamps, have about 95% of all of commemoratives and defintives (and
their major variations), a good share of the back of books and am running
out of stamps that I don't have and are within a price I am willing to pay.
Various other sub-collections, like Air Mail First Day Covers (FDC) and
programs (preferred signed).
? US Coins, have about 95% of all of them and again, running out of ones
that I don't have and are within a price I am willing to pay. Have not
bought any for myself for about a year, mostly just rolls of proof coins and
the like for ebay.
? PSA graded sport cards: Third party grading has always been a good thing,
but now they have an online registry that allows you to compare your
collections with others and compete for award certificates. It?s a way to
spend $10 on a card worth $0.25 if not graded. I also have a collection of
about 1200 different Steve Young football cards, with about 100 different
game used cards. Years ago I use to deal in cards and made about $100 a week
as an early teenager which seemed like a lot more money then.
? Meteorites. Subcollections meteorite pamphlets, toys, books and
publications. If anyone has any meteorite pamphlets or will be making at any
time I would like one.
? Mad Magazine and Cracked Magazine Original Art...along with the related
printing overlays and printing note cards, most of which are no longer done
as Mad and Cracked are finished on computers now. Most purchased from the
artist and usually for just about nothing.
? Space related items: Astronaut autographs and letters, NASA flown
hardware. The strangest thing I bought along this line was one of the
X-Prize space rockets.....this taught me the valuable lesson I like to joke
about, Space rockets do not fit through doorways.

I have a quite a bit of minerals, fossils (most dinosaur) and petrified wood
as well, but don?t really actively collect these items.
Clear Skies,
Mark