[meteorite-list] New Kansas Meteorite!

From: Jerry Calvert <Jerry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:39:21 -0600

Hi list,

I am pleased to announce a new meteorite recovered on May 11, 2006 from
Republic County near the town of Kackley, KS.

A fully crusted single stone weighing 1.368 kg was found adjacent to a
cultivated field. The specimen was classified by

Paul Sipiera at the Planetary Studies Foundation in Galena, Illionois.
Additional material will be sent to the University of Washington

for further study. The specimen has been classified as an H4 chondrite,
Fa 18.56, Fs 17.7. I have attached several photos compliments

of Mark Bostick and myself. The main mass will remain with the Kansas
Meteorite Society Collection in Wichita, Kansas. The data

is being submitted to the nomenclature committee by Paul Sipiera with a
proposed name of "Kackley".

Best Regards,

Jerry Calvert

Kansas Meteorite Society