[meteorite-list] possible leonid meteorite

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:51:32 -0700

That doesn't look like a meteorite (especially not a freshly fallen
one), but even assuming it is:

-Leonids really have no chance of making it to the ground. Aside from
the fact that the material is probably fragile, it is going way to fast.
Leonids are always observed to burn up at high altitude.

-Any meteor seen exploding more or less in front of an observer (that
is, at low elevation) is certain to be very far from that observer, and
still at high altitude (100+ miles away).

In other words, if that is a meteorite, it isn't a Leonid, and it
doesn't have anything to do with the fireball reported by your
witnesses.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory