[meteorite-list] Crust on old meteorites - Campo, Nantan, Morasko type

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:16:50 -0500

Hi Marcin-ho,

Does the crust after these millenium still look like you took a high
temperature blow torch to steel and watched it turn rainbowish colores, or
are we talking about an old magnetitated surface that has been exposed to
the elements and kept certain characteristics of its original glory. Take a
look at the Mazapil Iron in Vienna sometime and PLeeeeease send me a picture
at high resolution.

Desert varnish on stone meteorites does count as fusion crust, but I guess
there are all kinds of crusts possible. Just not the original atmospheric
issue,

Best wishes, Doug