[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:12:53 -0500

Yeah, Alex!

OK, David, so then, that rim on Boguslavka is the "alpha-2 zone" of the
ablated surface.

Here's photo I just took of the piece I contracted from Cladni Heirs,
terrible photo, but it shows beautifully that fusion heated rim (could be
called part of the fusion crust I guess - but probably that's not
scientifically ok, as it is not crusty but just heat-affected). The heat
affected area that lost the structure is about 0.9mm in thickness (and so it
is actually from ablative heating). Compare this photo with Martin's edge
on slice where you can see that sliver thin burnished flakey fusion crust on
top of this bright rim...

http://www.diogenite.com/Bogy.jpg

Thanks Metalmen

Best wishes, Doug