[meteorite-list] Meteorite Lawsuit - Bob Evans

From: mccartney <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 00:06:47 -0500

As a member of IMCA, I feel it my duty to warn other meteorite buffs to avoid entanglements from questionable persons.

On June 24, 2006 I posted to the list as a courtesy that I had been the victim of a fraudulent trade with Bob Evans. This is the rest of the story...

After a year of trying to resolve the issue, it took me many more months to conclude that he just wasn't going to respond.

I sent emails, Ebay emails, registered letters and confirmed delivery letters, with no response from Mr. Evans. He had my piece and he wasn't going to finish the trade.

I sued Bob Evans in Williamson County, Texas Court. It went to court on October 19, 2006. Small CLaims suit #060094. He apparently tried to avoid being served his lawsuit by the Will County Sheriff, but they served him successfully. He did not respond to the suit, nor did he show in court.

He lost by default and now has a judgment of $4,800 against him. He now joins Mr. Casper in the hall of Shame.

Its my character flaw to be an overyly trusting guy. I have traded with people from South Africa to West Texas, Poland to Alaska. Never had a problem. On the whole the average meteorite fan is a fair, wholesome, science loving, respectable person. I encourage all of you to trade with your peers on this list, but do a little homework on your partner first to weed out the Caspers and Bob Evans's.

Last word, the meteorite community is a small sand box - Remember to play nice.

-mt
IMCA 2760

Sent via the WebMail system at blackbearddata.com