[meteorite-list] Fireball report from this morning in Utah

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:27:57 -0700

Ed-

Reentering objects are responsible for only a tiny fraction of
fireballs- well under 1% based on my empirical data. I think Marco has
looked at this, too... he might have better numbers. In any case, while
you certainly might have seen space junk, natural meteors are much more
likely.

There seems to be a strong correlation between color and speed, with
slow objects being seen as bright green, and faster objects seen as pale
green or white. I expect that is simply because the faster objects are
hotter, and the "white" blackbody output is swamping the fainter oxygen
emission. Reentering space junk is slow, and is usually reported as
green.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory