[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 28

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:48:59 -0700

Objects in orbit around the Earth reenter close to Earth's escape
velocity, which sets the lower limit for anything entering our
atmosphere (the upper limit is set by the escape velocity of the Sun at
the Earth- it's unlikely that anything we encounter would be faster than
that). And for the most part, as you note, reentering objects are
usually in flat trajectories, so they burn much longer, and are likely
to slow down enough to stop burning before vaporizing. The Air Force has
a group whose mission is to recover fallen junk.

I'm not sure what you mean by "close to the ground"- anything you saw
was probably more than 20 miles high, with 50 being more likely. There's
no way to tell by eye how high a fireball actually is.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com