[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 36, Issue 28

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:02:24 -0700

Comet Tempel-Tuttle, the parent body of the Leonids, is in a
low-inclination, retrograde orbit. We encounter the debris at 71 km/s,
and our own orbital speed is 29.6 km/s. Subtract that out and you get
the orbital speed for Leonid meteoroids: ~41.4 km/s. The solar escape
velocity at the Earth is 42.1 km/s. That's why the Leonids are as fast
as any periodic meteors can be- faster meteoroids would leave the Solar
System. Of course, a sporadic meteor could be produced by a body that
would escape the Solar System if it didn't encounter the Earth- either
because it originated outside the Solar System, or because it picked up
enough energy through momentum transfer during some sort of slingshot
around another body. I don't know if anybody has worked out the
likelihood of that happening- very, very rare I'm sure.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com