[meteorite-list] Martian Find Raises Chances of Life

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:45:11 -0800 (PST)

Apologies if this has been said already.

Mars looks dead. I believe it is and probably always
has been. Fred Hoyle has a lot to answer for. Why
should life be "spontaneous"? Ideal conditions
(whatever they may be, in the case of life) do not
necessarily lead to a specific outcome.
Just because you want something to be so, does not
make it so.
Do we even agree what defines life? We can't even
agree on what defines planets except in the extremes.
There are better places to look than a cold, dry,
barren rock. It should not be a surprise to find it
sterile.

Mars should be explored thoroughly but it ought to be
with an expectation that it's dead.
A null result is a valid conclusion if the experiment
is performed correctly.

Marvelous work by the boffins to spot dynamic effects
on a distant world. Great pictures and a priveledge to
live at a time when we can witness it. I'm happy to
leave the deeper philosophy for another time.

Rob McC

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/10.07/15-origins.html

> http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/neo/life.html
>
> Cheers,
> Pete
>

> From: "mark ford" <markf at ssl.gb.com>
> To: <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Martian Find Raises
> Chances of Life
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:39:19 -0000
>

> Yes, agreed naturally, and I am not saying there
> possibly isn't life out
> there, and we should be interested in Mars
> absolutley, BUT - caution, a few
> wet streaks down a hillside is a million miles away
> from there being alien
> life forms on mars. I bet there are planets out
> there in space with entire
> oceans but no life...
>
> I just feel there should be much more direct
> evidence of life on mars, it's
> everywhere you look on earth, if there is martian
> life it's certainly doing
> its best to not show itself - it's just a very thin
> case at the moment
> (imho)
>
> The difference with the advanced, well adapted
> extremophiles on earth is,
> basically there is little evidence that they evolved
> before other life
> forms, So it is reasonable to assume they evolved
> from other life forms to
> thrive in these harsher environments, therefore you
> would need an earth like
> place to start life off in the first place (as far
> as we know it), mars is
> looking quite different, but interesting none the
> less.
>
> Really I just question the assumption that's being
> made, 'that anywhere in
> the solar system with a patch of water' will spawn
> life - on earth it took
> billions of years and a lot of near perfect
> environmental factors, to even
> start it, then it is still quite fragile even after
> billions of years of a
> good atmosphere and plenty of stable environmental
> factors, and <an
> atmosphere> don't forget mars is very very hostile,
> very very low pressure,
> very cold, high UV, high radiation, and [mostly]
> dry.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> Mark

=== message truncated ===