[meteorite-list] Request for help in procuring meteorites

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 23:10:24 -0500

Hello list,

Some of you may recall that about 2 months ago I put out a request for a
source of tektites. My reason for needing them was to raise money for the
Greensboro Astronomy Club. Well, I obtained a nice supply of tektites, and
along with some NWAs (unclassifieds and some nice NWA 4293 individuals) I
had an opportunity last weekend to try selling them at a local Gem & Mineral
show. I got a free table at the show as I am a also gem club member, and I
was not doing this for personal gain.

I was pleasantly surprised to have $282.00 in gross sales. Since I am not
charging the club for any of the materials, the net donation is $280.00.
What surprised me even more was that people kept asking me if I had any
other meteorites that they could look at. Well, other than the pieces that
I had in my personal collection (which are not for sale) I had to say
"sorry, but I do not." It would appear that I had an opportunity to sell
many more meteorites, but it slipped through my fingers because I had
nothing to sell. We will have another opportunity to sell at "Tri Star,"
which is a day of Astronomy related talks, solar viewing, Astrophotography
Contest, and an evening viewing session. Although no details are finalized
yet, here is one link to our club page announcing the March, 2007 Tri Star:
http://greensboroastronomyclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=41

Here is a link to the March, 2006 Tri Star information:
http://technet.gtcc.cc.nc.us/comserv/cline/tristar.htm

Please let me explain our club's project, and then I have a favor to ask.
We are currently raising funds to build a small observatory outside of the
Natural Science Center of Greensboro (Greensboro, NC, USA.) They have a
Planetarium, and the Planetarium Curator is our club's Newsletter Editor.
He is also one of our biggest supporters in terms of being there for us when
we need him. We are lucky to have him. Our President has generously
committed to donate a large telescope and mount for the observatory. All we
need is the money to build it. The Museum is willing to help us raise some
funds, but we need to demonstrate on our end that we are willing to do so as
well. The aforementioned $282.00 is a nice start.

And now, the favor we need. I am not a meteorite dealer. I have sold
mineral specimens in the past, but none of my wholesale suppliers sold
meteorites. Well, OK, there was one who had some Nantans about 8 years ago.
I bought one and it rusted from the inside-out after about 3 years, and I
was disappointed. But I digress... The only other way I have obtained
meteorites is for my personal collection, through ebay purchases and direct
purchases from several meteorite dealers. I cannot rely on ebay to obtain
items for fundraising sales. To make any profit, I would have to charge way
too much to offset the postage fees, and many ebay sales do not end up
selling at wholesale prices.

I need perhaps several dealers who would be willing to deal with me on a
wholesale price basis to help us with our fundraising. Or perhaps to point
me in the right direction so we can obtain meteorites at a price where we
can make a decent profit. Consignment could work, but I would like to
maximize profit, and I do not mind laying out the money. (Some may wonder
why I do not just make a donation. Selling these specimens provides
education and interest to individuals where none currently exists. We can
help propagate meteorite collecting, as well as an interest in Astronomy and
Space Exploration.)

I am not looking for exotics as they would not be a good investment for this
purpose, and my wallet. I cannot afford to buy up part slices of Lunars,
Martians, PALs, or rarities, etc. that have tremendous value. I suppose
that I am looking at more mainstream and reasonably priced specimens like
some irons - perhaps some shrapnel or individual Sikhote-Alin, and various
stony meteorites. I would like to diversify and not have all NWA materials
if possible.

Since I am not a meteorite dealer, I really do not know which specimens are
less expensive on a wholesale basis, and still of interest to collectors. I
guess in a round-about way I am saying that I am not looking at specimens
that wholesale for over $8.00 per gram, or so.

I am not looking to get hundreds of specimens. Probably somewhere in the
range of 2 to 3 dozen so as not to break the bank. I will end up donating
all of this, and at the same time, I have to maintain the house. I think
all of you can relate to that.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Please contact me off-list if
you like. (Oh, let me mention that all donations are cheerfully accepted!)

Sorry to be so long-winded. Thank you!!!!!

Ed