[meteorite-list] Working with Sikhote Aline

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:44:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi M.Mackintosh and the list,

While I have never drilled a hole in a meteorite (the
alloy of iron, nickel etc should be no worse than low
grade stainless steel), I believe that a sharp cobalt
alloy drill bit available at Home Depot etc should do
a fine job of drilling a hole in your S A. I would
lube the bit with cutting oil (you could use any light
oil if you don't have cutting oil). It would be a good
idea to drill a bit at a time and add oil to the bit
each time. Start slowly to prevent the bit from
wandering.

As far as welding, I will defer to another listee.

With Best Regards,
              Pat Brown
              R&D Engineer
              Agilent Technologies