[meteorite-list] Image Copyright (was: Look at this great auction!)

From: Herbert Raab <hraab2006_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:55:44 +0100 (MET)

> I linked the image from a website. It was a copyright free bw
> image and I didn't suspect the site owner didn't like image linking...

Is there really no copyright on these images? One can't assume that,
just because its a "old" black and white image, there is no copyright
on it.

Russia joined the Berne Convention in 1995, so I assume the image
is copyrighted for the life time of the author plus 70 years. As far as
I know, this is also valid for works that were created before 1995.

So, even if the photograpger died immediately after the Sikhote Alin
impact, the copyright would not expire before 2017...

Cheers,
  Herbert