[meteorite-list] biggest taggish lake

From: Gerald Flaherty <grf2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:47:22 -0500

Interesting hypothesis.
Jerry Flaherty
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: mckinney trammell
  To: Rick Davis ; Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
  Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:19 PM
  Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] biggest taggish lake

  the metal-based ones probably would not be worth an air fill. but the carbon ones should be water resistant.

  Rick Davis <torotoy at msn.com> wrote:
    "Dive for Meteorites", very interesting IM just outside Seattle can dive any depth all equipment manned or unmanned. I was under the impression they would rust away and simply dismissed hunting underwater. Most bottom types composed of mud, soil, silt ect.. leave long lasting impressions "a history". Someone with experience reading the bottom optically without disturbing the surface layers can quickly narrow down the search area for magnetic, electronic and sub bottom surface 3D sonar imaging. It can be very rewarding finding something efficiently, especially in a lake.
    Im just a rookie Meteorite hunter and new to the list, but have been working on the bottom for 37 years. I hope the list will create a discussion on this topic if you think it is valid, seems to be a lot of knowledge and experience here. Our ability to find things on the bottom improves constantly. I have a map of the debris field I would say there are finds to be made in the lakes. My question is, at what rate can we expect them to corrode? I've seen metal dissolve in days and others that are hundreds of years on the bottom. Chemical composition of bottom type, metal object and water, also temperatures how deep in the bottom all are factors. Do we have a source for lake data?
    What say you list?
    Rick

    what is the biggest piece of this known nad what is it worth in U$D? are there any pix of it? if so, where? all i have seen are dirt-like pieces not big enough to fingerfondle (10g or more). is it worth a dive on the lake to find more?