[meteorite-list] [AD] Steve's Brenham Slices -- At Last!

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:38:19 -0700

Jim posted:

> I bought a slice of Brenham from Steve at Tucson last year . . . I'm
> very
> happy to report that it has been rock stable-not a hint of rust in the
> year that I have owned it. I've been very happy with it.

Dear Jim:

Thanks for letting us know about your positive experience with Brenham.
As you can imagine, this is a subject that Steve, Phil Mani, and I have
spent a lot of time discussing. Nobody wants to buy a meteorite and
then have to worry about it rusting. The Brenham pallasite and siderite
specimens that I am working with were carefully and specifically picked
for cutting because of their very obvious stability. When these pieces
were found, they were in excellent condition, in dry ground, with no
flaking or rusting in the dig holes. A very good sign. They have also
been through proprietary preventative treatments. I don't think they
even needed anti-rust treatments, but we gave them anyway.

In my opinion, Brenham has an unfair reputation, and incidental
problems in the past may have been the result of cutting with water, or
improper storage of slices. Take a look at the big half stone at the
Monnig Collection. That's a Stockwell Brenham, found (and probably cut)
in the 1940s. It's as clean and shiny as anything. Really beautiful and
not a hint of rust.

Further, the pallasite specimen currently being prepared for me is one
that Steve and I excavated together (as described in the Feb. issue of
"Meteorite"). It was found on a ridge, somewhat elevated from the rest
of the strewnfield. For whatever reason, it was spared weathering, and
has fantastic GREEN crystals -- not the brown ones we often see in
Brenham.

These are good solid Brenhams, and I stand behind the integrity of any
pieces I sell.

Sincerely,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org