[meteorite-list] FW: [AD] Steve's Brenham Slices -- At Last!

From: Jack Schrader <jack.schrader_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:05:30 -0700

Dear List,
     Last year at the Tucson 2005 show, I traded Steve Arnold for a
beautiful slice of Brenham iron. I have not been as fortunate as others
with the stability of my specimen. I live in Arizona in a very dry part of
the state. My home is air conditioned and I have no humidifiers to add any
moisture to the air. My slice was very well prepared, polished and etched
and appeared to have been coated in the preparation process with some method
of resin sealing material. I kept my slice of Brenham on an acrylic stand
for display as I felt it was very stable and required no other special
preservation and storage concerns. After approximately nine months of
apparent stability, my piece has rusted badly in all of the areas of the
small fissures at the periphery of the slice. Some of the fissures rusted
severely enough to rupture the surrounding areas of the polished and etched
iron surfaces. I have removed the resin coating and the slice is now
undergoing NaOH/alcohol treatment for the rust. I hope to stabilize the
slice to save it from further deterioration. After the treatment, the slice
I have will be removed from display and placed in an airtight container with
a dessicant pack to help lessen the possibility of further rusting of the
specimen. I do not wish to discourage any future sales of the Brenham
specimens that Geoff Notkin and Steve Arnold will be selling, I only wish to
state my experiences with the specimen that I obtained. I am certain that
every Brenham iron meteorite specimen recovered from the strewn field will
have been subjected to very different and varying environmental conditions
prior to recovery and preparation which will have an effect on the future
stability of that particular iron. My specimen most likely was one which
was discovered in an area of heavy moisture, irrigation, farming chemicals
leaching down through the soil, etc. The iron slices are beautiful and very
well prepared and are great additions to a collection. My suggestion to all
who do add one of these beautiful specimens is to simply take all
precautions possible to protect the iron from rusting and not trust solely
on the good stability claims that other specimens have enjoyed. Best wishes
to all, Dr. Jack Schrader