[meteorite-list] New Mauretanian meteorite?

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:06:34 +0100

Dear Beda,

a few weeks ago I launched a very similar request after I had recieved a
number of samples from a very fresh meteorite. The material is dubbed Noktat
Addagmar and is said to have fallen in June 2006 at Noktat Addagmar which is
a small caravansary at the Moroccan, Western Sahara, Mauretainan triangle.
Eyewittnesses claimed that five or six stones fell after a spectacular
fireball and a loud explosion. No further information could be obtained. I
though have recorded the names of the eyewittnesses.

This is the entry in my inventory catalogue on the 591gm fragment I own:

"Meteoritic material from the Ahmiriz region 280km south Dakhla / Morocco.
The nearest village to the find is named Noktat Addagmar which is 90 km
north of El Gouira close to the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. Two
eyewitnesses report that five or six stones fell after a loud explosion and
a fireball on June 30, 2006. Material is a friable chondrite most probably
type 3 or 4 with fresh fusion crust. TKW is > 2.1 kg, probably more
fragments are circulating."

Distribution to my knowledge is:

591gm oriented fragment: Niger Meteorite Recon collection / Dr. Svend Buhl
420gm sold to anonymous collector
188gm sold to anonymous collector

None of the major institutuions I have contacted is currently working on a
classification of this meteorite.
I would consider it a major contribution if your work could add any
information to this subject. Please contact me, should you be interested in
a photo documentation of the mass I still have and the ones I have pictured
of this fall.

best regards

Svend Buhl

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de