[meteorite-list] UA Scientist and Private Collector Form Center toSave Meteorites

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Feb 1 16:51:36 2006

Hi, all,

Just below are some points in this article that are definitely contradictory
to my personal perception as to the "dwindling supply" of meteorites.

I appreciate the scientific importance of meteorites, and realize the rarity
of some types of meteorites.
Each stone in my own humble collection is a treasure to me.

However, when considering the pictures posted over the past year on the List
from the variety of meteorite sales conventions displaying literally "tons"
of meteorites for sale, recent escalated space missions for recovered
extraterrestrial materials both planned and completed, and the dramatic
increase of recovered Antarctic meteorites - seemingly enough meteoritic
material available there to justify leaving a robotic drone free to graze:
is the future supply of meteorites really in such dire straits as indicated
by this article?

Is there data available to support the quote of: "Meteorites are rarer than
diamonds, gold, rubies, and platinum." This one I find particularly
intriguing.
Where could I read more about this statement?

Does anyone else think that this article is a bit alarmist?

I would appreciate being enlightened in this respect!

Love to learn, and would like to be corrected,
Cheers,
Pete

>>The world's meteorites are vanishing.

gone in a lifetime

also, from the provided link: http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/swmc/

>>• We have established the Southwest Meteorite Center to preserve the
>>dwindling supply of extraterrestrial materials

and