[meteorite-list] Re: New Lunar? New Continent

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 2 03:49:52 2006

Hola Ken,

You make excellent arguments by a preponderance of suspect and circumstancial
evidence which as you imply, is and was quite self evident. It might be hard
to keep a straight face while discussing this particular material given the
level of maturity you and most have on the list discussing these seemingly
obvious calls. But here is a more unique problem apparently being presented for
this claimed piece of Chixulub's impactor that was miraculously propelled over
to some Colorado railroad tracks area if I remember correctly. Peer reviewed
science is being claimed via a Master's in Geology thesis and there is a
pervasive disclaimer. The potential to get hurt here as you warn is much greater
than typically we see and it deserves attention. The problem with the science
seems to me is that it hasn't been independently peer reviewed. So it relies
on the reputations alone of the institution which has conferred the degree
and is allowing, or ignorant to the fact that it to be interpreted in this
manner.

I would suggest the approach on this one needs to be different as it has a
level of sophistication that is more interesting than the product itself.
People can write and say whatever they want and the best that can happen is you
might get your money refunded by caliming misleading advertising. Seems
senseless to me. Why not take it at face value of the claim and find whoever is
lending their institution's name to it. I did exactly that, and no one answered my
email some time back. That tells me it is an institution that isn't very
concerned about where its approval is tendered. That was all I needed to know, as
I wanted to include this material in my own research program where I could
have made some iindependent conclusions possibly published as a footnote.

Even if there are many reasons why my email could have gone unanswered, I
lost interest after the silence. But if I wanted to take this a step further, I
would get a statement from the committee approving the research at institution
that sponsored it and apparently conferred the degree.

There is always a possibility that it is all fabricated, however, that would
become obvious when checking with the advisor or committee. While I totally
support your concerns on this one, the neal deal is not another soggy bottom
fossil martian spider flaming through the roof deal...so fire with fire and
publications with publications. That's my personal viewpoint. An institution
that gets burnt once that is self respecting will take corrective action in the
future, and save a lot of heartache for many. And one that won't will lose
face and maybe acreditation. So now that we are through Lunar and Chicxulub, we
still have Martian pre=solar grains, etc. to worry about. So I'd say it is
time to expose the University for what it is: innovative scientific, innocently
abused, or flakey phonies, before wading through the rest of the drainage
coming thtough its pipelines...
Saludos, Doug
PS I'm looking for my old email to them and will share it with you and Anne
unless someone else decides to research the university (which had a nice web
page) and make that info known to the meteorite community. It's been a while
since I monoresponded.

En un mensaje con fecha 02/01/2006 11:33:46 PM Mexico Standard Time, Ken N.
escribe: