[meteorite-list] Earth residence for NWA 869

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Feb 2 13:11:04 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:21:49 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>I imagine a lot of you have NWA 869 in your collections. It certainly is
>one of my
>favorite meteorites. I've been wondering if anyone knows how long it sat in
>the
>desert before being picked up by meteorite hunters.

I bought this up on the list a few months back. Responses ranged from something
like "seems pretty fresh" to "probably thousands of years". Hopefully, now that
the number is official, there will be some serious study in the works-- it is
one of the most interesting meteorites out there to me, but it seems like the
high availability and cheapness make some people not take it seriously. Out of
the bunch of pieces I have, some of the look almost like they could have fallen
yesterday.