[meteorite-list] 2003 UB313 Reignites a Planet-Sized Debate

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 7 17:05:36 2006

My preferred definition is entirely unscientific:

Any of the nine planetary bodies orbiting the Sun that have been
traditionally called "planets". This includes usage in mythology,
literature, and scientific publications.

This leaves the IAU free to define any number of new terms to describe
bodies orbiting a star. These definitions can take into account size, shape,
orbital plane, composition, origin, and anything else that is
_scientifically_ relevant. It takes "planet" off the table completely as a
formal term, doesn't create confusion by redefining a term that is already
in common usage, and pretty much should eliminate controversy.

I expect that the reality is, no matter how the IAU defines "planet", the
vast majority of the lay public will continue to use the term as I defined
it above, meaning that when scientists use the term outside their
disciplines, they will need to add qualifications.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com